Simplicity in Design- White Gardens

I love my garden but I don't pretend to be a knowledgeable gardener.  My plants have to come with 'wheels on'.  They are often dug up and moved around the garden several times before they find a permanent home.   Fortunately for my plants, we have a mild climate that makes gardening easy.  I like visiting gardens too.  One of the most famous and beautiful gardens in Britain is at Sissinghurst Castle in Kent.


Designed by Vita Sackville-West  the most popular 'garden room' at Sissinghurst is the White Garden.



Visitors from all over the world come to see this tranquil garden and leave inspired to create a bit of this White Garden for themselves.


The key to this elegant design is the limited colour palette.  It illustrates perfectly the old adage that less is more.  


Barrington Court in Somerset  is a Tudor Manor House with a wonderful walled kitchen garden.  It also has a beautiful White Garden inspired by Gertrude Jekyll


These grand houses have acres of gardens with many different design elements. I love them all, from the kitchen gardens to the orchards and borders full of bold, brightly coloured flowers.  My little garden isn't even as big as one of these garden rooms but I believe every garden should contain some white flowers.  Here are some photos of the white flowers blooming in my little plot today.


This Clematis has wonderful perfume and is only a few years old. 


I bought a tiny pot of this white geranium at a Cat's Protection event.  It blooms all summer and comes back every year.  It was the best plant bargain ever at £1.00!


And finally, my favourite.... a daisy with a lady bug!  Elegant like Sissinghurst or small and simple like mine, you can't beat a garden filled with white flowers!







  

Comments