Two for the Price of One - Carrot, Cumin and Coriander Soup

What was I thinking? This is frugality gone mad!  I was shopping for groceries, 1 kilo of carrots cost 76 pence or you could get 2 kilos of carrots for 78 pence.  I went for the bargain and now I have so many carrots I can't fit them in the fridge!  Now what do I do?


Looks like it's going to be Carrot, Cumin and Coriander Soup for lunch.

To make this soup you need:

1 onion
1 medium potato
4-6 carrots (depending on the size)
1 clove of garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons brown sugar
400ml/16 ounces vegetable or chicken stock (it's ok to use a stock cube, we all do it)

Peel and chop the vegetables into small-ish pieces.  Put them in a large saucepan with the spices, sugar and stock.  Cook over medium heat until the vegetable are very tender.  Pour the soup into a food processor or blender and whiz it until it is smooth.  (I have a hand-held blender that works great for this.)  Pour the soup back into the pan and adjust the seasonings....you may want to add some black pepper or salt.  If the soup is too thick, add a small amount of water. Serve it piping hot.


You can eat it as it is or garnished with a dollop of plain, natural yogurt or creme fraiche.  Serve with a chunk of good bread and butter.  Maybe I didn't buy too many carrots after all!

Comments