1950's Cookies- Brown Sugar Drops

Recently, I purchased a copy of 'Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook'.  Published in 1950, it is the only cookbook I remember my mom using when I was a little kid.




I think it's time we begin to explore this great old cookbook.  The Dust Bunny and I thought we'd start in the cookie section and make a batch of Brown Sugar Drops.



I am going to give you the recipe exactly as it is written in the book ...here we go!  


Mix together thoroughly:
1 cup soft shortening
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs

Stir in:
1/2 cup sour milk* or buttermilk



Sift together and stir in:
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt

Chill at least 1 hour. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls about 2" apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until set...just until, when touched lightly with finger, almost no imprint remains. 

TEMPERATURE: 400F (mod. hot oven)
TIME:  Bake 8 to 10 min.
AMOUNT: About 6 doz. 2 1/2" cookies.


The cookbook describes these cookies as 'soft, chewy. Wonderful brown sugar flavour.'  Yep, they are right!  As, you can see, cookbooks weren't as wordy as they are now.  Do this...you get that, I like their style.

Here's something interesting, a list of some of the most important historical events in 1950:

The first modern credit card was introduced.
The first organ transplant took place.
The first Peanuts comic strip was published.
The Korean War began.
Harry Truman, US President, ordered the construction of the Hydrogen Bomb.
McCarthy started his Communist Witch Hunt. 

No wonder they needed to bake cookies!  Enjoy!

*I did make one small substitution.  I used my homemade yogurt in place of the buttermilk.   If you don't have buttermilk or the sour milk,  just stir one teaspoon of white vinegar into 1/2 cup regular milk and use that.  

Comments