Corn Bread Muffins

Have I mentioned, I am half Southern?  My Daddy was from Tennessee.  That means I was raised on biscuits, for you Brits that's an unsweetened scones, and corn bread.  




I LOVE biscuits and corn bread, but my Daddy couldn't abide them.  Notice, I am talking Southern now.  I don't mean to, it just happens sometimes!  I think biscuits and corn bread reminded him of growing up on the farm and if I am honest, sometimes things were a little lean for farmers in those days.  Some would say things haven't changed much.  Currently, the dairy farmers in the U.K. are fighting to keep their herds - milk prices are so low.  




Now, corn bread and biscuits are 'fashionable' not just food for Po' Folk.  It doesn't matter to me what is in fashion.  Corn bread tastes good!   Nothing is nicer than a hot corn muffin oozing butter unless it's a hot corn muffin oozing with honey-butter!  So let's make a batch of corn muffins.  


Here is what you will need:


1 cup cornmeal or polenta
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup milk


Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/ 400 degrees F.  Place paper muffin cups into a 12 hole muffin tin or grease a 9 inch square pan if you don't want to make muffins.  (You can also use a cast iron skillet)  




In a medium mixing bowl, place the flour, sugar, corn meal or polenta, and baking powder.  Stir them together until well combined. 


In a large measuring cup or jug, mix together the egg, milk, and oil. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl.  Stir together until everything is well combined but DO NOT over mix.  


To make muffins:  spoon the batter into the individual muffin cases, bake for about 20-25 minutes.  Muffins should be well risen and lightly golden.


To make corn bread:  pour the batter into the greased pan, spreading it evenly to the edges.  Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly golden. 


Serve HOT with butter!   Let's face it, when it comes to corn bread, we're all a little Southern!  

Comments

  1. Ooooo....I'd do anything for some cornbread and catfish stew right about now! (Can you tell I lived in Charleston for 30+ years?)

    Deb, did you make it homemade back home? I must admit, I've only done homemade cornbread a handful of times, *much* preferring this: http://amzn.to/Pxr98k

    Love your pics. I can almost smell the cornbread from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the good ol' Jiffy mix! Yes, I've made many a Jiffy mix, cakes included. They are good, aren't they? And catfish, oh my goodness, it's hard to beat good old fashioned Southern cooking! I must admit, there are some things I miss from the States, and most of it is food related! Now there's a revelation! ; )

      Lovely to hear from you...thanks for visiting me!

      Delete

Post a Comment