Jack of All Trades.....Master of None

I love learning something new, especially when it's something old.  You know what I mean, for example, I love making jam, baking bread, growing old fashioned flowers.  Then there are the old fashioned crafts, spinning wool, weaving fabric, tatting lace.  You name it, I've probably tried it. 


In a previous life, I taught weaving, candle making and ceramics to developmentally disabled adults.  We would weave rugs and place mats, make scented candles and all sorts of decorative ceramics, then take the goods to markets and craft fairs to sell.  From the profits the crafters received their   wages and we replenished our supplies.  It was a great job, so much fun!


Now I am trying to learn something new...but it's still an ancient craft.  I am trying to teach myself how to throw pottery on a wheel. 


It's messy.  It plays havoc with your manicure.  I end up with clay in my hair and all over my clothes.  But I love it!


As you can see, I am not very good.  It doesn't matter because if you don't fire the clay you can recycle it and start all over again!

And if by chance, you do make something you think is 'OK' then you can proceed and possibly make a lovely little rustic bowl. 


Now I have a goal, something to aspire to.  I want to make a bowl big enough  for making bread.  I know, at this rate it's going to take quite a long time before I can do it.  But for now, I am happy just 'pottering' around with my clay.  I'll let you know how I get on!  

Comments