Lazy Sunday Waffles

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.  Weekend breakfasts are the best of all.  We have time to make something a bit special and time to savour what we've made.  But sometimes, I feel a bit lazy.  I can't seem to get motivated or after a huge brekkie I can't face the disaster area, formerly known as the kitchen.  Here is a recipe for those sorts of weekends... Lazy Sunday Waffles! 


It's lazy because most of the work is done the night before.   Just whack all the ingredients into a big bowl, beat them all together, cover with cling film and pop it into the fridge overnight.   


In the morning, making these waffles is almost as easy as making toast!  Just heat the waffle iron, brush on a little oil and pour in the batter.  Shut the lid and they cook themselves.  It usually takes about 4 minutes with my waffle iron, but you will know when they are ready.  They will be golden and crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle.  Place the cooked waffles in a warm oven while you repeat the cooking process with the rest of the batter. 


I am a traditionalist, I prefer maple syrup on my waffles.  They are good with fruit and whipped cream, or you can go Belgian and use chocolate spread and whipped cream,  or ice cream and caramel sauce, spread with jam or dust with powdered sugar......  but you need the recipe first!  

Mix together in a big bowl, leaving room for expansion:

1 1/2 cups milk - lukewarm
6 Tablespoons melted butter or margarine
2 -3 Tablespoons sugar or maple syrup
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast 

Beat everything together until combined, and cover with cling film.  You can use this batter after one hour, but I like to make it the night before and refrigerate it.  If you have any leftover waffles, put them in a large freezer bag and use them as toaster waffles.  

For REALLY Lazy Sunday Waffles, strike a bargain, you make the batter and someone else cooks the waffles.  One more thing, the proper way to eat Lazy Sunday Waffles, is on a tray in bed!  


Comments

  1. I love waffles! What an easy recipe. How does that Lyles Maple Syrup compare to American? (I didn't even realise that Lyles *made* a maple flavour until now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Denise -

      When you were a kid, did you ever have Karo Dark Syrup on your pancakes? Well, Lyles 'Maple' syrup reminds me of Karo. Of course, you could always be posh and go for real Maple syrup, but the Lyles suits me fine! : )

      Delete

Post a Comment