'Oh Bother!' or Baking Substitutions

Oh Bother!  Half way through baking a cake I realised I didn't have enough self-rising flour.  I try to keep my baking store cupboard well stocked but sometimes, despite all my best efforts, I still find I am caught short. OK, time to be resourceful and make my own self-rising flour! 




Has this ever happened to you?  Fortunately, there are lots of substitutions for common baking ingredients.  Here are a few ideas that might come in handy when you have an 'Oh Bother' moment:


Self-Rising Flour - 1 cup plain flour + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder + 1/4 teaspoon salt 


Cake Flour - place 2 Tablespoons cornstarch (cornflour) into a measuring cup, add regular flour up to the 1 cup mark

Corn Meal (for cornbread) - polenta


Brown Sugar - 1 cup (200g) white sugar + 2 Tablespoons molasses 


Baking Powder (1 teaspoon) - 1/4 teaspoon baking soda + 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar + 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour)


Baking Chocolate  (1 oz or 30g) - 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder + 1 Tablespoon butter, vegetable oil or shortening


Golden Syrup - Corn syrup


Treacle - light corn syrup


Sour Cream - thick plain yogurt

Buttermilk (1 cup) - 1 cup plain milk + 1 Tablespoon white vinegar  OR 1 cup plain milk + 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (let the milk mixture sit for about 10-15 minutes before using) OR  plain yogurt


Plain Yogurt - Sour cream OR buttermilk OR creme fraiche OR  1 cup heavy cream + 1 Tablespoon lemon juice


Of course, substitutions may result in a slightly different texture or taste but for most recipes they are adequate.  In some cases, you may prefer them. As, you know from previous posts, I use my home made yogurt instead of buttermilk in lots of different recipes.  


Do you know of a clever substitution or have you substituted an ingredient that has improved your recipes?  Please let me know, leave a comment!  I'd love to hear from you.  




Comments