The Gift and Chocolate Chip Cookies

What a lovely surprise!  Andy brought a present home for me, something very rare. Something I haven't seen in any shop since I've lived in the U.K.  Something I really love.... Nestle Toll House Chocolate Morsels!



These are the original chocolate chip of the original chocolate chip cookie first made in 1930 by Ruth Wakefield for guests in her Massachusetts inn called the Toll House.  



She added pieces of a chopped chocolate bar to an old Colonial cookie recipe and a new American tradition was born!  Originally called Toll House Cookies we now know them as Chocolate Chip Cookies.



Chocolate Chip Cookies are America's favourite cookie and like most American girls, it was one of the first things I learned how to bake.



So when Andy presented me with two HUGE bags of Toll House Morsels I was 'over the moon' as they say here in the U.K.  I couldn't wait to make a batch of cookies!



There are lots of different recipes for chocolate chip cookies.  My mom always used the original Toll House Cookie Recipe .   The recipe I use comes from my best childhood friend, Ruth.  We became best friends when we were five years old and stayed best friends until we went away to University.  Her mom taught us how to make these cookies and now I am going to share Ruth's recipe with you.  



Here are the ingredients you will need:

1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter or margarine (room temp.)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups plain flour
6 ounces chocolate chips

Cream together the sugars, butter or margarine.  Beat in the eggs, salt, vanilla, and baking soda.  Stir in the flour a little at a time, until well combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Place the chocolate chip cookie dough in the refrigerator while you heat the oven to 350F or 180C.  



Using a small scoop or teaspoon, drop the cookie dough onto greased baking sheets and bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are 'set' and very lightly browned.   Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before completely cooling on a wire rack.  Store cookies in an airtight container.  


I suggest you try the Toll House Cookie recipe, too.  You can never have too many chocolate chip cookie recipes!  Thanks for the lovely prezzie, Andy!  X

Comments

  1. Oh lucky girl! Your cookies look delicious! I do miss a proper Toll House cookie. We had a large family and my mom used to make a double batch, spreading the dough into a large oblong cake pan and making Chocolate Chip Bars. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't think the chocolate chips would make that much difference but I suppose you and I have a lifetime of experience with Toll House Cookies. I was so pleased with this gift, an absolutely perfect choice!

      Delete

Post a Comment