Windfall Crumble

I know about the Autumnal Equinox but I don't think that's really when Autumn begins.  The children are all back in school, the nights are drawing in, the spiders are making webs EVERYWHERE and I have enough windfall apples to make a Crumble.  By my reckoning, I say it's officially Autumn! 



There's a reason why we say 'Fall' in the States.  This time of year things seem to drop out of the trees, leave, walnuts, apples!  That's why I am calling this recipe a Windfall Crumble.  Four to six medium apples should make a nice sized crumble.



Windfall Crumble isn't an exact science.  You never know how sweet or tart the apples will be so you have to decide how much sugar, if any, you want to add to the peeled and thinly sliced apples.  I know, most people want specific measurements but you can do this.  Just trust your own judgement.  



I usually start with a couple of heaping tablespoons of sugar, more if the apples are tart, and a heaping teaspoon of ground cinnamon.  You could also add a pinch of nutmeg, too.  Or leave all the spice out if you prefer.  Once again, you have to decide.  I have a little nibble of the sliced apples and if I think they are too tart I add a bit more sugar.  Then I tip the apple mixture into a buttered baking dish and make the 'crumble' topping.



This is just about the simplest recipe you will ever read:

100g plain flour
100g sugar
100g butter - chilled and diced
100g oats

In a mixing bowl, stir together the sugar and flour.  Cut or rub in the butter until the mixture looks like bread crumbs.  Add the oats and stir to combine.  Sprinkle over the sliced apples.  Bake for about 35 minutes at 350F/180C until the crumble topping is lightly browned and the apples are soft and juicy.



I like my crumble just as it is, warm from the oven.  Andy likes his with cream or custard.  It would also be lovely with vanilla ice cream.  Like I said, Windfall Crumble isn't an exact science,  the best part is experimenting until you find the perfect combination!

Comments

  1. I love crumble, and I love apple with cinnamon - yum, very tasty :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way cinnamon makes the house smell so good! : ) x

      Delete
  2. Perfect timing! I was looking for a recipe like this. I'll be heading out to the apple orchard at the end of this month... Now I know what I'll be making when I get home! Thanks for expanding my recipe list...(and my waistline!) ;)
    YUM-O!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Ana!

      I love going to orchards this time of year. The smell of 1000's of apples is one of the best scents in the world. I must tell you, this makes a lot of crumble topping. I like a high crumble to apple ratio. If you prefer more apple than crumble, cut the topping recipe in half. And I ALWAYS warm my leftover crumble in the microwave because it's just so good warm!

      Have a wonderful time at the orchard.... take a good sniff of apples for me!
      Deb : )

      Delete
  3. 3 of the 4 Selphs will be joining Ana at the apple orchard very soon! Sara says fall is her favorite time of the year and when asked why, she says it's because she loves going to the apple orchard! We go to a place pretty far away in Harvard, IL, 2 hours from here, near the Wisconsin border. I go solely for the apple cider doughnuts! I've heard that the apple crops are not good at all this year because of the hot, dry summer. The orchard near here in Indiana had to have apples trucked in because their crop was a bust. Hoping Royal Oaks Farm had better luck. Not looking likely by the announcement on their website: http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall has always been my favorite time of year. I love the changing leaves and the crisp, cool weather. I love wearing woolies and the smell of apple orchards. I am afraid it's been a terrible year for our farmers,too. We've had too much rain! We must have gotten part of yours! Have fun! I hope there will be photos on your blog...hint..hint..hint. : )

      Delete

Post a Comment