Rhubarb Muffins

My allotment friend John, the dahlia expert, just gave me a lovely batch of Rhubarb from his patch.  Rhubarb is almost a religion in Britain, you have to love it to live here.  


Now this is where we have a slight problem.  I am learning to like rhubarb but I don't love it....yet!  


Each time I try rhubarb, I like it more. I actually found myself nibbling away at the chopped rhubarb I prepared for today's recipe - Rhubarb Muffins!


The thing is, if you don't tell the fussy eaters at your house these muffins have rhubarb in them they will have munched their way through without ever suspecting you've hidden it in there.  Rhubarb at the ready? Let's make some muffins!


 Heat the oven to 200C/400F. Place six paper muffin liners into a muffin tin.  

Chop 150 grams of rhubarb and sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar over it.  Bake for about 10 - 15 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender.  Let the rhubarb cool while you prepare the ingredients for the muffin batter.


To make the batter you will need:

150 grams plain flour
50 grams sugar
1 egg
50 grams butter - melted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
100 ml milk

Sift all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.

Drain the rhubarb juices into a measuring cup and add enough milk to make 100 ml of liquid.   Crack the egg into the measuring cup and pour in the melted butter. Stir well to combine all of the liquid ingredients.  

Pour all of the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir until everything is JUST combined.  Add the cooked rhubarb and stir just enough to distribute it through the batter.  NEVER OVER MIX MUFFINS they will be tough.  


Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes.  OK, maybe you don't love rhubarb but I bet you will really like these rhubarb muffins!  I do. Thanks John!

Comments

  1. Love rhubarb and the sound of these. They look fab :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rhubarb! We have some in our garden and I'm always looking forward to the harvest of it!
    We make cakes of it: with a buttermilk-cream or sour cream or covered with baiser.
    Your muffins are a new sort of rhubarb cake for me. Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhubarb is very popular here, almost as popular as strawberries! I must learn how to use more of it. John said I could pick rhubarb any time.

      Delete
  3. Our rhubarb plant has gone mad this year. We have masses of it! I will have to try these, they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them. I am tempted to pour a little warm custard over one to eat for afters. ; )

      Delete
  4. I've never tried a rhubarb muffin before, but these look absolutely delicious! I will have to try this recipe, for sure! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment