The Snail Bouquet

I've set myself a little gardening goal.  I want to have fresh flowers cut from our garden every day this summer.  I'm not talking about a massive floral display.  It may just be one blossom in a bud vase, but that will do just fine.


It was easy to fill a small vase with roses and daisies today.  June is the most bountiful month for flowers.


I was admiring the delicate yellow of this miniature rose when I thought I saw a petal move!


And here's why, a tiny baby snail was snuggled down in the heart of the rose.


He was so tiny and young he was transparent!  The only thing I could do was carry him and his flower bed outside and try to release him in a safe place.  He was a only a baby after all!


I tried several different plants but the baby snail wouldn't stay on them.  He kept crawling back onto my finger.   Finally he decided the pot of chives looked like a good place to hide.


He snuggled down next to the shell of an empty sunflower seed,  curled up inside his shell and went back to sleep.  


And I took my snail-free bouquet back into the house!  

Comments

  1. I've been squishing snails on the allotment - now I feel guilty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel guilty. I was just having a weak moment. I know I'll come to regret it. : )

      Delete
  2. What a very sweet story about a baby snail! I love it! I mean, I like snails, too, as long as they don't eat our garden empty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do all I can to discourage snails and slugs in the garden but this one was SO tiny I couldn't harm him. He will eat EVERYTHING now. ; )

      Delete
  3. J'aime beaucoup les bruit que font les pétales de pivoines en tombant sur une table, c'est bien spécifique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't realise the petals were there until I edited the photos. I wish I could say I was artistic but it was just good luck. : )

      Delete
  4. Since finding Speedy in our yard almost 1 year ago, and he's STILL alive, I've grow a bit fond of snails. They are a strange creature for sure and I definitely don't want them eating up my plants, but with two girls that are proud of him/her I have come to like them a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe Speedy is still alive. You must be taking very good care of him. : )

      Delete

Post a Comment