Low Fat Applesauce and Oat Muffins

This next recipe will probably shock my regular readers, it's Low Fat Applesauce and Oat Muffins.  I know, low fat!  Sometimes even I feel like I need a healthier option.  



There is a secret to baking delicious, moist, low fat goodies.   It's applesauce!
When you add applesauce to cakes and muffins, you can decrease the butter and oil dramatically.  



You can use store bought applesauce but I've got so many apples that I decided to make my own.  You can find my easy applesauce recipe by clicking HERE.  



The remaining ingredients are basic store cupboard standards...here's the recipe:

1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 1/4 cups regular oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup soft brown sugar 
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil - I use canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1/2 raisins - optional

Heat the oven to 400F/200C.   Place 12 paper muffin cases into your tins and set to one side. 

In a large mixing bowl, place the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Stir the dry ingredient together until well combined. 

In another bowl, place all the remaining 'wet' ingredients and beat them together.   Pour the wet mixture into the large mixing bowl and stir JUST until all of the dry ingredients are moistened.  DO NOT OVER MIX or you will have tough muffins. 



Spoon the batter into the paper cases and bake for 16 - 20 minutes.  Let the muffins cool for a few minutes before removing them from the tin. Be sure to store any left over muffins in an airtight container.  There's only one more thing to do, enjoy a guilt free treat!  

Comments

  1. Mmm! I am going to have to try these. They look yummy. And I love your apple photo for your new header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I had an amazing crop of apples this year. Those are the 'damaged' ones that must be used up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy indeed! I have a recipe for applesauce muffins. I'll have to pull it our and compare ingredients to yours to see if they're similar. The girls and I are headed apple picking on Saturday so apple recipes will come in handy for sure! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple more applesauce muffin recipes fully loaded with the good stuff. This is as close to 'DIET' food as I ever intend to get. ; )

      Delete
  4. Getting drool on the keyboard. Not good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds very good! The apple season has just begun, so thanks to this fast recipe! I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment