Gingerbread Jelly

All summer long I had a little project in mind.  Every time I baked something with peaches or peeled an apple, I popped the peach pits and peelings into a big bag and put them in the freezer.  When the apple harvest came in I had so many apple cores and peelings I could hardly close the freezer door.  It was time to put my plan into action: Operation Compost Jelly


I knew that just the peelings and scruffy bits might need a little boost in flavour so I started with this beautiful Apple Jelly recipe written by Debora Robertson.  I always find her recipes and projects so inspiring. With a few substitutions and an addition of some store cupboard spices,  I came up with the idea for Gingerbread Jelly.  Here's what you need to make it:

1 kilogram cooking apples - roughly chopped, core, peel and everything!
1 lemon
250 ml apple cider or perry (pear cider)
50 grams honey
ground ginger (1/2 teaspoon per 600ml juice)
ground cinnamon (1 teaspoon per 600ml juice)
3-4 whole cloves
Jam sugar with pectin (450 grams per 600ml juice)
 


Place the chopped apples (or the frozen fruit trimmings) into a preserving pot or the biggest saucepan you have. Add the lemon juice and the lemon rind, the cider or perry,  cloves and honey. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. After an hour of cooking over a low heat, you will have a lot of rich apple juice and some very squidgy bits.  Drain the juice through a jelly bag or a muslin lined colander. (See Debora's recipe for special tips and instructions).


Measure the apple juice and pour it into your preserving pan or large sauce pan.  For every 600ml of juice add 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.  Stir in 450 grams of jam sugar for every 600ml of juice.  Place the pan over a low heat and stir until all the sugar is dissolved then bring the mixture to a full rolling boil.  Cook until the jelly reaches set point.  Pour into sterilized jars and seal.  Your kitchen will smell like Christmas and gingerbread!

For more great recipes and crafty projects from Debora Robertson click HERE

 

Comments

  1. This would be very nice come festive time! Or at anytime come to think of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smells just like Christmas. I was thinking of using it on scones for Christmas/Boxing Day tea.

      Delete
  2. Such a good idea,especially at a time when we are hearing about so much food waste ...and it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do it again next year after the apple harvest. The high content of red peel makes the juice a lovely shade of pink.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really delicious, I think I copy the recipe to try this next year. Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds sooo yummy! I hope I can make it! Love Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be so pleased if you gave this recipe a try. I hope you enjoy it. : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment