Not So Naughty Biscotti

First of all,  let me wish you a very Happy New Year!   I'm not a big fan of the 'clean slate and resolutions' attitude towards New Year.  The fact I've never made a New Year's Resolution I could keep might have something to do with it. For example, how many people have resolved to go on a diet?  I can't make it to lunch before breaking a diet!  That brings us to this recipe for 'Not So Naughty' Biscotti.  



I know I am going to keep eating sweets through the New Year so I thought it would be a good idea to look for some damage limitation recipes.  This biscotti recipe isn't made with butter and only uses 3/4 cup of sugar!   I know, it's practically diet food!  


For this recipe you will need:

3 eggs
3/4 sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil - I used canola oil
2 Tablespoons of milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder



Begin by pre-heating the oven to 350F/160C.  Line two baking sheets with baking paper and set them to one side while you prepare the dough.

Place the sugar and eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat them together for 2 or 3 minutes.  Add the oil and milk beating again to combine. Stir in the vanilla extract and the baking powder.  Using a wooden spoon, add the flour one cup at a time, stirring well before adding the next cup of flour.  The dough gets very stiff so you may want to use your hands to knead in the last cup of flour.  


Divide the dough in half and make two logs of dough about 9 inches long and about 3 inches wide.  Place the dough logs onto the parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until they are firm to the touch.  Let the biscotti logs cool for several minutes then cut them into 1/2 inch thick slices. 

Turn the heat up to 375F/190C.  Place the biscotti slices, cut side down, on the baking sheets and return them to the oven.  Bake for an additional 10 - 15 minutes or until the biscotti are golden brown and crispy.  It helps if you turn them over half way through the second baking.  


Place the biscotti on a wire rack to cool completely.  Store them in an airtight container and enjoy them, practically guilt free, with a cup of coffee or a mug of tea.  I think my New Year's Resolution will be to NOT give up my mid-morning treat.  It may be the first one I actually keep!

This recipe was slightly adapted from The Brown Eyed Baker

Comments