Pink Potato Salad for Lunch

I know this probably going to freak some people out but stick with me here. I am not good at making meals for myself, so when lunch time came today I didn't have a plan of action.  I opened the refrigerator door and stood there wondering what I could make out of a hard boiled egg, a jar of sweet pickled beet root, and mayonnaise.   This is what happened... PINK POTATO SALAD!



It was really very good...very PINK... but VERY good!  I can see this being a big hit with 'Ladies Who Lunch'  Are you brave enough to have a go?  Here's what I did to make a greedy sized portion for just me...



Remember beetroot is powerful stuff so take care not to splash the juice around and use a glass or ceramic bowl for mixing.  If you use plastic it may become permanently pink.

1 or 2 boiled potatoes - peel and cut into cubes
1 hard boiled egg - finely diced, I used only the white part 
Several slices of sweet pickled beet root - finely diced
1 or 2 Tablespoons of mayonnaise  or salad cream
Chive flowers - optional but so delicious

Place the potato, egg, and pickled beetroot into a bowl.  Add a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise and a few drops of the pickling juice.  Stir gently to mix and coat all of the ingredients in the dressing.  Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.



When you are ready to serve,  tear the petals off of several chive flowers and sprinkle over the potato salad.  They add a delicious hint of onion and have a lovely texture.   Give it a go.. I dare you!  

Comments

  1. Delicious.. I've done something similar myself before.. also good with added sweetcorn :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment