Plum and Vanilla Bean Jam

Next to Christmas, this is the busiest time of year in the kitchen.  The orchard fruits all seem to be ripe at once so it's jam making time.


I had just enough dark plums to make a small batch of jam. It's always fascinating to see what colour the final product will be.


Plain plum jam is delicious but I like to add extra flavour to the pot.  This time I added a whole vanilla bean, split in half so the seeds would ooze out as the fruit cooked.


I can't wait to have a bit on a scone or slice of toast.  If you've never made jam before, plum jam is a good place to start.  Plums are rich in pectin, beautiful in colour, and often can be collected for FREE...give it a go! 

CLICK HERE FOR A SIMPLE JAM RECIPE YOU CAN TRY

Comments

  1. Jam making time here too! Plum jam with vanilla sounds especially nice. I love the look of your clafoutis pud/breakfast. I've never tried making one, but will have to give it a go now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clafoutis was best warm..but I think most fruit dishes are. I had a little cream with mine but custard would be lovely, too!

      Delete
  2. Hi I made some plum jam yesterday, the vanilla sounds good, will try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how adding a little extra something changes the basic recipe. My favourite is apple jelly with cinnamon...yum!

      Delete

Post a Comment